Thursday, December 14, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me


On Friday, the 8th of December 2006, I turned 25....for the 7th time.

Scene One - Kids Bedroom. It was sometime after midnight, that Amil woke me up after I had unintentionally slept in with our boys when putting them to be the night before. He welcomed me into my 31st year, by asking me "So how does it feel to be 31?". At that time, all groggy and still sleepy, I attempted to murmur an answer, which I'm sure did not make much sense, to either of us.

Scene Two - Our Bedroom. 7am. Now I am woken up later in the morning with a "Happy Birthday!" from Amil followed by a little kiss. Once he had gathered Umar and Musa, the boys went on to wish me "Happy Birthday Mummy!" and we all broke into a happy birthday sing song. Musa however was puzzled but mostly excited by all the hoo haa that was surrounding him!

The boys then gave me a birthday card and present, which was a very nice ZARA shirt, with fine pink and brown stripes, that must have taken them great effort to choose and buy...hehe...of course with some help from their Daddy. Amil then gave me a birthday card that was both funny, sweet and touching. My present, he said, would follow with a shopping outing together :-)

Beep beep, beep beep. In the background I could hear my mobile phone receiving sms-ses.

By this time I was feeling all warm and fuzzy and very much loved. It was certainly a great start to not just a Happy Birthday but what I suspected would be a Wonderful Birthday...

After we all had showered and Amil and I dressed for work, Umar came into our room and asked "So Mummy, when is your birthday going to start?" Another one of Umar's priceless questions.

"Do you mean my birthday party?" I answered with a question.
"Yes! Yes! Your birthday party!" He replied excitedly.
"I won't be having a birthday party Umar" I told him.
"But WHY Mummy?" The WHY had been stretched as far as it always can be. He was obviously disappointed.
"Actually, that's a good question Umar" and went on to tell him that I had to go to work but that we would do something when I got home later.

Scene Three - Office in Shah Alam. Lugging my laptop bag, work bag and hand bag, I akwardly and noisily climbed up one flight of stairs to get to my office. As I walked into our admin. office area, a few of my colleagues broke into a "Happy Birthday to Youuuuu"...Another sing song! What a nice surprise. Then, Mano, our Office Administrator and good friend of mine, gave me a warm birthday embrace followed a short while after with a yummy nasi lemak bungkus.

I also took the opportunity to read and reply the sms-ses that I had received from Mama, Ayah, Dani, San San (a colleague from Head Office), Wyn, Izue and Dani.

Around 9.15am, Aby called to wish me. Around 10.30am, Lyn called to wish me. And later still around 3pm, Wyn called me to follow up on her sms. Aaaah, my darling sisters.

Scene Four - Office. Time was around 11.30am. I was busy doing work (yes, I managed to do some on my birthday) when Angie (our Fleet GPS chick) popped into my office with a huge bouquet of flowers in her hand. WOW! was my first reaction. It didn't hit me that the flowers were from me. Angie gets her fair share of flowers and I thought she was just showing it around.

"If you don't want these, I'll keep it. And they're not from me" she said.
"They are for me?" I asked, genuinely surprised.
"Who are the flowers from?" I asked, genuinely unaware.

And when I opened and read the card, a smile, as wide as a door fridge can open, instantly appeared on my face. It was personally signed, Amil, Umar & Musa.

Aaaw, my darling boys, my darling husband. Thank You. The red roses were a perfect way to end my morning and begin my afternoon.

Scene Five - Office. Mano, Angie, Alvin (our IT dude) and I topped off our nasi lemak brunch with desserts from Maccas (McDonald's) at Kota Kemuning. Just after I got off the phone from Wyn, I was called out from my office to the main office area. And there waiting for me was a nice, big cheesecake with strawberry and chocolate sticks and ball (for the record, Mano and I shared the ball...someone had made off with the sticks...). Yes, we had yet again another sing song session, this time for both me and Mano, as her birthday fell on that Sunday, 10th December 2006, and we blew out one candle each.


That cake blowing session further strengthened the warm and fuzzy feeling...

At the end of the work day, I was very proud to carry to my car the bouquet of flowers and box of leftover birthday cake...

Scene Six - Restaurant. Amil treated Mummy and I to a lovely dinner at Penang Village in Hartamas Shopping Centre. In contrast to my 30th birthday dinner celebrated at the Mango Tree with the whole of the Junus & Mahiran clan, which I might add was fantastically organized by Aby, this 31st birthday dinner was nice and low key. Penang Prawn Mee was my birthday dish and yummy it certainly was.

Scene Seven - Home. Driving into the driveway, we spot Baba just coming out of the car at the garage. Mummy yelled to him from the gate "Who's birthday is it today?". At that time I went to give Baba a hug and looking at him answered Mummy's question "Mine!". And with that Baba sheepishly apologized and then warmly wished me. "It's never too late" I answered and gave him a big hug and kiss.

Amil and I ended the night with an excitement filled feeling of anticipation as the kids and us were to spend the following 3 days and 2 nights, from 9th to 11th December 2006, at Shangri-La, Putrajaya as part of my birthday celebration and also Umar's school holiday getaway.

And now, to answer Amil's earlier question "So how does it feel to be 31?"

I feel wonderful, contented in a blissful way and extremely happy, even in the knowledge that, amongst others, I will attain more lines on my face, have a tougher time to loose that stubborn bit of flab, be less flexible in form but more firm in my beliefs, and in short - older but hopefully wiser and kinder. Oh yes, and even in the knowledge that I am now two years younger than Amil...well only for two more months...then it will be back to three years again :-)

I am very thankful to Allah swt to have allowed me to reach my 31st year in good health, happiness and surrounded by my great husband, gorgeous children and wonderful family & friends, alhamdulillah. And may Allah swt bless me and my family with goodness, patience and perserverance to overcome difficulties with ease and happiness always and hereafter. Ameen.