Yet another drama unfolds at the beginning of the work week. Of all the days available, three to be precise, on the last long weekend, Musa, my 10 month old second son, chooses to have his food allergy on the morning that I return to work. Or to be fair on the little one, I choose to give him a brand new cereal, different to the usual (much thanks goes to the supermarket that ceases to stock it), on the morning I return to work.
Just as I was winding myself up for the long week ahead, I received a much NOT needed phone call from Aby, my sister, also my housemate.
"Have you seen Musa's face? He's got red spots all over his face, ears, top part of his body... his eyes are red, bruised, bloodshot!" she semi-asked, semi-stated worriedly bordering on panic, which in my family, this is somewhat a normal response, similar to that given when we have run out of bread or the family cat, Vince (full name Afundi Vince Fantasia - do you still remember Aby?) has snuck into the house.
Of course I had not seen his face or else would I have left him in that state? I thought to myself. Somewhere in between the panic, we determined that it must have been an allergic reaction to the breakfast cereal. The reaction was quick, with the little one scratching himself endlessly. My poor baby.
"No, I didn't see his face. Is he breathing alright?" Stories of people having difficulties in breathing due to allergy, mainly from peanut, play in my mind. Not a pretty sight and my knees start to rubberise.
"His breathing's fine. Just the rashes and spots and his red eyes" she answers, slightly calmer.
"Ok, I'll come home and take him to the doctor. Can you hang around with him?" Not starting work until 10am-ish, Aby agrees to keep Musa company, in addition to Bibi Ijah, my domestic PA (personal assistant... literally!).
Flying down the highway, I make another call home to my PA to check on Musa's progress. Umar answers the phone and before I could say hi...
"Mummy!! It's Musa! He's got spots on his face! He's got chicken spots! He's got chicken spots all over his face and his eyes are bruised. You need to take him to the hospital!" Umar was obviously distressed by his brother's allergy, which he took the liberty to diagnose as chicken spots, medically known as chicken pox... I go on to commend what a good and concerned brother he is and that yes, I am on the way home to take his little brother to see the doctor.
When arriving home a speed lightning 20 minutes later, I cross path with Umar, who was now in the car ready to be sent to school by Lan a.k.a Uncle Lan, my dad's driver. Upon seeing me from inside the car, we both had our car windows wound down, whereby Umar proceeded to tell me about little Musa again.
"Mummy! Musa is inside the house! (Umar vigorously points to the house) You going to take him to the hospital mummy. He's waiting inside. Take him to the hospital!" This, coming from the big brother who usually does not hesitate to give his little brother a hard time, was touching to say the least. I waved Umar off to school, telling him not to worry as I would take care of Musa. He looked back just to make sure that I was heading into the house...
And there waiting for me was poor little spotty, all...well spotty, and red, rashy and most distinct was his bloodshot eyes, gorgeous dewey doe eyes, but bloodshoot nonetheless. Fortunately by now he didn't seem to be too bothered with the allergy, few itching and scratching aside. And a visit to the doctor did confirm he was allergic to the cereal (mainly the "fake" fruit flavouring, i.e. strawberry and orange, which was suprising given the cereal was recommended for babies 6 months and above); but the reaction was subsiding already. Thank god. Another brand bites the dust. And another one I must seek.
And since then... I have been unable to identify stockists of the original "spot free" cereal. Many a supermarket I have visited but to no avail. But like any other parent, I will continue to seek the elusive baby breakfast cereal until I have put to rest Musa's allergic reaction...that is until the next food group comes along...
Update: Two months down the road since the above episode, both my darling sisters Wyn and Lyn have gone out of their way to buy the Heinz baby cereal (multi grain, red box) wherever and whenever they come across it but fortunately my prayers were answered because our local supermarket, CitiSuper in Sri Hartamas, is now stocking this particular cereal. Thank God!
Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment