Today when I called home, Umar, age 3+, answered the phone.
"Who is it?" he asked in his cute high squeaky pitched voice.
"It's Dorothy the Dinosaur" (a character from the famous Wiggles) I answered back cheerily and so spontaneously that even I surprised myself.
"And who is that?" returning his question.
"This is Umar" he answered, cautiously but with a sense of excitement rising in his voice.
"Hi Umar! I'm Dorothy the Dinosaur. Do you know what colour am I?" the guilt of the charade began to tingle inside of me.
"You have yellow spots" Umar said confidently.
"Yes, I do and I have a green body too!" not about to give up the charade, I carried on in my best sing song voice.
"I like to sing, and dance.." I continued.
"And you like roses too..." Umar interrupted.
I almost burst out laughing but kept on encouraging him and making him believe he was talking to Dorothy from Wiggles, once his favourite tv show. Even though I felt quite bad by this time, I enjoyed making him happy by making him think he was really chatting with a Wiggles star but at the same time, knowing that this was not going to last.
"I have a baby" said Umar, hearing his little brother crying in the background.
"And what's your baby's name?" Dorothy a.k.a very sick mum asked.
"Musa" he answered. Umar was obviously happy to be engaging in this conversation.
At this point in time I knew that I could not let on that I was really his very sick mum and so vowed that I would pretend being Dorothy, so he could continue on being thrilled and tell me all about his exciting phone call when I got home from work later that night. God had other plans though.
"Do you have toys in your room Umar?" Dorothy continued with the merry chat.
"Yes"
"What's your favourite toy"
"Cars" he answered in usual serious manner.
"And who bought you the toys Umar? A question I tend to ask him when he shows me a new toy or thing.
"You're not Dorothy " I was caught off guard and let out a little giggle / laugh.
"If I'm not Dorothy, then who am I?" I asked slightly defiantly.
"You're MUMMY! Aww, you're not Dorothy" he said slightly upset, though still hoping that he was wrong.
My worst feeling was confirmed. I had disappointed a little boy, not just a little boy but MY little boy.
"Dorothy the Dinosaur lives far, far away. How can he (Umar does not know yet the difference between he and she) come over here? It's too far, far away." He answered in a tone that said I should have known better than to believe that Dorothy would really have called me up.
"I'm sorry Umar. Mummy was just being silly pretending to be Dorothy the Dinosaur." Trying to make him NOT feel stupid and duped! Though I know I was the stupid one stringing along the little fellow...
I really do hope that he forgot the phone conversation after he quickly said goodbye, after finding out that it was not worth to stay on the phone for Mummy as long as he would like to had it really been Dorothy...
Friday, March 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment